Thursday, December 11, 2008

bogosity

BLOS used that word in an e-mail earlier today, and I immediately fell in love with it. I thought he was making it up, but when I checked out dictionary.com it turns out it's an actual word. The definition:

bogosity /boh-go's*-tee/ The degree to which something is "bogus" in the hackish sense of "bad". At CMU, bogosity is measured with a bogometer; in a seminar, when a speaker says something bogus, a listener might raise his hand and say "My bogometer just triggered". More extremely, "You just pinned my bogometer" means you just said or did something so outrageously bogus that it is off the scale, pinning the bogometer needle at the highest possible reading (one might also say "You just redlined my bogometer"). The agreed-upon unit of bogosity is the microLenat.Also, the potential field generated by a bogon flux; see quantum bogodynamics. See also bogon flux, bogon filter.

I am now going to rate all my friends' lame excuses for bailing on cool adventures. And with the group I hang with, I'm sure I'll see my bogometer redlined all the time. I may even have to use the macroLenat unit of bogosity.

3 comments:

BLOS said...

I never knew so much science went into measuring "bogosity". I learn something everyday!

Unknown said...

I'm not sure that dictionary.com is the best reference source.....

brownie said...

That is totally bogus, Stephanie, dictionary.com rocks!