Sunday, December 17, 2006

the incline

One of the staples of my training schedule since I moved to Colorado has been the Incline. I've been known for doing some crazy workouts ever since I started running, but this is definitely the hardest workout I've ever done. I could post graphs and pictures all day, but you just don't get a feel for the Incline unless you've done it. To put things into perspective, I have a 4:32 PR for the mile (and could probably run sub 5:30 nowadays) but I have only broken half an hour on the Incline once. In fact, my 5 mile PR (at the T-Cloud Turkey Trot in Austin) is faster than my Incline PR.

The pic below is a shot of the Incline from the start of the Pikes marathon.

To clarify things, the Incline Club, who I run with on Sunday's (and Thursday's come spring), has nothing to do with the Incline, though most all the members do work out on the Incline.

For more info, including the trespassing controversey surrounding the land, click here.

6 comments:

Tiffany said...

Sounds like our incline over the Ravenel Bridge in Charleston. That 4% grade is a killer!

PlaysByEar said...

They let you run over that now? I drove over it lots on my way to Windjammer on Isle of Palms, but I don't recall seeing anyone running.

Anonymous said...

You can't drive over the Incline. It's an old railroad and all the railroad ties are still in place which forms one long stairway (to heaven!). Just to clarify Brownies picture, the Incline is the long thin line going straight up the side of the mountain just above the motel sign.

Tiffany said...

You must be talking about the IOP Connector from Mt. Pleasant... or the bridge over from Sullivan's Island. Oooohhh the Windjammer. How I love kicking back on the top deck with a cerveza and just taking in the ocean breeze. Perfect!

tripped over a rock said...

"To clarify things, the Incline Club, who I run with on Sundays"

To clarify things, this should read:

"To clarify things, the Incline Club, who I run with on occasional Sundays and then only for the first little piece of the run before turning back around - unlike my badass friend Melissa who has shown up for every run this season and has a finished the longest run option every single time, never turning around or taking a bail trail"

brownie said...

Wow, Ms. Rock, you must have tons of Colorado ultras under your belt to talk that kind of smack to me!