Wednesday, December 20, 2006

hashing in Runner's World

The latest issue of Runner's World (January '07), their annual new year's motivational issue, has "The Life List," a list of things every lame-ass, dorky road runner should do within their lives. Included in the list are places runners should visit (Oxford's Iffey Road track - site of the first sub-four minute mile), places runners should run (Boston's Heartbreak Hill), books runners should read, even people runners should try to imitate (like Steve Prefontaine - I certainly have the heavy drinking part down!). The best item on the list, though, is "Wear a Red Dress." Quoted from the article:

Running is fun. Beer is fun. Put them together and you have the ridiculuously fun sport of hashing. For the uninitiated, one person (the hare) sets off running and leaves clues (usually sprinkles of flour) for the pack (harriers) to follow. At the end of the trail there's beer, if not an actual bar.

The concept originated in 1938 at Kuala Lumpur's Selangor Club -a.k.a. the Hash House- when a bunch of bored Brits created the first "kennel." There are now more than 1500 kennels around the world. "I've hashed in Belize, London, and Helsinki," says Jay Hopkins, the former editor of the hashing info web site half-mind.com.

A U.S. version came in 1988 in California when a woman joined the previously all-male sport and ran in heels and a red dress. The on-on party after has been memorialzed in song, verse, and Red Dress Runs from San Diego to Cairo. Red dress is mandatory. Hairy legs okay too.

22 comments:

Jes said...

know anyone who's been to the house in KL?? Can they give me decent directions/landmarks? I'm hoping to visit it on Christmas day...

Lulu said...

I am currently in the process of deciding between a short red nightie, long red t-shirt dress or medium length velvet number for tonights run. YAY!!

Anonymous said...

"Red dress is mandatory".

So which part of this sentance don't you understand?!!

Anonymous said...

If you were in CS I'd recommend all three, but in Austin I guess its warmer so the velvet number would seem appropriately festive!

brownie said...

Real men don't wear dresses!

Lulu, you have your hooker rep to worry about, go with the short nightie!

Lulu said...

That is what I was thinking too! I'd hate to ruin my reputation by wearing a dress that completely covers my ass.

I also have the red cheerleader outfit - does a skirt/shirt combo count as a dress?

brownie said...

Cheerleader outfits go with any event in my book.

Remember to ask every bartender to turn on ESPN2 during the pub crawl, Pitt is on tonight!

Lulu said...

No need for ESPN is the Chargers or Longhorns aren't playing. Those are really the only two teams that matter.

brownie said...

You keep talking like that and I'm gonna have your pimp slap you. Nobody wants a hooker who can't stop sweating anyways...

Lulu said...

You are not too smart trying to threaten me. You must not know me very well. My hooker reputation not only pertains to my freakishly short shorts but also to my mean right hook!!

GO CHARGES!! HOOK EM HORNS!!!

brownie said...

HA, like you're the first Austin chick who's ever wanted to hit me!

Panther, please take care of the light work for me.

Lulu said...

I am sure there are women all over the world that want to beat the shit out of you. The difference is that I am pretty sure I can.

brownie said...

You better bring lots of help!

Lulu said...

Sounds like a challenge next time you're in Austin. Now when I dream about you, it'll just be dreams of beating you senseless!

brownie said...

I'll be there sooner or later. Watch your back.

Lulu said...

I'm trembling........

brownie said...

Why, 'cuz Coop wouldn't go get you cigarettes this morning?

Gagger said...

Way to go Runner's World!

lulu: the velvet dress does sound festive, but the short nightie might get you free shots/drinks from the bartenders!

I can't decide between 2 dresses myself. One is just hideous...has a collar, shoulder pads and is long, but buttons all the way down. So it could be unbottoned pretty high up. The other is shorter and seems more comfy. Both for the low price of $7 at the thrift store! Think I might go for the $2 one. :)

Lulu said...

There is definitely something to be said about a girl who wears a dress with shoulder pads. And easy access with the buttons is also a plus.

And Brownie... don't get too depressed that the only vote you are going to get on your poll is from yourself. That doesn't mean people don't like you. OK, maybe it does.

brownie said...

You should probably start your job search. Nobody wants a hooker with two black eyes.

Lulu said...

I'm not sure what kind of hookers you frequent (with your low standards and all) but I am pretty sure most men paying for sex are not going to care that I broke my fist on your face.

brownie said...

All men pay for sex. I'm one of the lucky ones who only has to use cash.

Been a long time since I kicked an A-town gal's ass...think it was a few months ago when I threw Nicole off Mt. Elbert. Hope you put up a better fight than she did.