Wednesday, October 01, 2008

return to the gym

Finally got my lazy ass back to the rock gym today. I had to renew my membership, and this next stretch will take me up to my yearly pilgrimmage to Hueco Tanks, so that should give me some motivation.

It's amazing how much strength I've lost over the past few weeks. I was never he-man by any means, but I had worked myself up to the point where 100 push-ups, a ton of pull-ups, and crawling around on the walls like spider man wasn't a big deal for me. Not anymore! Guess it doesn't help that I'm lugging around an extra ten pounds on my frame. Hopefully it doesn't take me too long to regain my old form.

Big update on my stalker girl - she got her hair cut. Looks real good. She hooked me up with a free copy of Urban Climber when I got a new membership too. You can't put a price on true love, but the magazine does sell for $4.99. She also played Dispatch today, even more cool points for her.

Been talking to several peeps about CrossFit lately. Don't think it even comes close to what I do over lunch. I think it's just the latest fitness fad, like the thighmaster or the Atkins Diet. I love how in the propaganda for CrossFit they advertise, "used by military and police forces." They use that for most fitness products, I guess that makes it sound like it's HFC or something. I know a ton of cops and military types around here. Folks, whatever they're doing to stay in shape, you probably want to avoid!

Anywho, it's back to the grind for me. Just need to stay in basic shape for a few months. Incline Club starts around turkey day and I'm signed up for the Rim Rock Run in Grand Junction in November. Probably do a lot of speedwork, long fartleks and maybe some 10k's, and keep the long stuff to a minimum (no more than 20 miles). Take a short break around Christmas and then gear up for another attempt at the Hardrock/Leadville double.

5 comments:

Barbara said...

LuLu would wipe the ground with you these days...

brownie said...

If Lulu even dreamed about kicking my ass, she'd be so scared when she woke up she would call me and apologize.

Lulu is in shape because she bikes and runs. While CrossFit may have improved her upper body strength, which by her own admission was pretty weak, I don't think it'll have have a huge influence on her race performances.

Lulu said...

We all know that I can beat Brownie's ass which is exactly why he wussed out on fighting me when he was in Austin last time.

brownie said...

I just felt bad for you after I beat you in our swim even though I was only using one arm.

Jessi said...

Swimming with only 1 arm? Didn't you just go around in circles??