Monday, January 03, 2011

Monday PM

Easy 6.4 on the Garden roads, 1 hour.

Been hitting the gym quite a bit lately, something that was lacking last year due to every spare second being taken up by running. Get lots of weird looks from the muscleheads since I'm starting to go around January 1st. Hopefully I can have a conversation like Evan had the other day:

I was told by an overweight guy at the gym today that I would be a much better runner if I would ditch my Lunar Racers and start wearing Vibrams. He explained that his friend had turned him onto a new revolutionary barefoot running book that has totally changed his running. I told him people have been running in flats for decades and this whole minimalist trend it nothing new. He did not know what flats were but reiterated to me that I would be much faster and less prone to injury if I would buy some Vibrams. I asked him how many miles he ran a week and was told around 15 to 25. He also added that he was now training for his first half marathon (he said this with an air of authority about him like I should be completely impressed with his awesomeness). As I headed for the showers I could not help but laugh. It reminds me of the cyclists that spend thousands of dollars for a super light bike but are carrying an extra 15 pounds of lard on their own personal frame.

8 comments:

GZ said...

Also recently got a gym membership for the family.

Love the VFF story. Particularly since they were the key diff over Lunar racers (a pretty light shoe).

Local Mind Media said...

That's a great little story. You should've asked the guy for some training tips. He may have clued you in to his secret 5x400m speed work.

did you mention to him that you know me?

brownie said...

You just know the vibram guy was wearing calf and arm compression sleeves!

Local Mind Media said...

Unlikely. Only "true elite athletes" wear them. They could make the difference between a 40 min 10k and a 29 min 10k.

I can run 4 min miles all day long in the sleeves.

trudginalong said...

It is everything in my power not to laugh directly in someone's face. I've had the same conversation with about 4 different people in the last 3 months. "I just RAN a 30 minute 5K in my vibrams! I'm so much better than you!" Shit, I better go pick up a pair for the PP50K...

Mike said...

For the record, if I get around to buying a bike, I will probably drop a couple grand extra for the light frame.

It might not improve my riding any, but the light ones are way easier to push up the hill when you're walking.

Hone said...

Too funny! I saw the guy again the other day when he was getting in his souped up Mercedes. That dude is a true minimalist.

Footfeather- the compression gear is just like putting racing stickers on your car. It adds at least 30 horsepower!

Local Mind Media said...

ouch, Evan, that stings.
I have big STP stickers on my car too.