Friday, February 06, 2009

Hardrock lottery

Just got an e-mail on the Hardrock lottery stats. They give out tickets for the entry lottery. You get one ticket for qualifying, one ticket for each finish, and can get extra tickets for finishing in the top five and doing trail work. Winners are automatically accepted, as are people who have five or more Hardrock finishes (like Joe P!).

Basically, after all the automatic entries were plugged in, 316 HR hopefulls were vying for 110 slots.

Holders of 1 ticket had an 18.1% chance of getting in. I beat these odds last year!
Holders of 2 tickets had a 32.9% chance of getting in. I had two tickets for this lottery.
Holders of 3 tickets had a 45% chance of getting in.
Holders of 4 tickets had a 55% chance of getting in.
Holders of 5 tickets had a 63.1% chance of getting in.
Holders of 6 tickets had a 69.8% chance of getting in.
Holders of 7 tickets had a 75.2% chance of getting in.

Assuming I finish this year, my odds of returning start getting a lot better. Though I may still go down to the Handies Peak trail weekend and gather an extra ticket for next year's lottery. I think my new goal in life will be to break John DeWalt's record for oldest person to finish HR.

FYI, there have been 879 finishes at Hardrock. I have the 513th fastest time!

1 comment:

Nacheaux said...

HAHAHAHAHA! Considering how you look when you run now, wonder what that's gonna look like when you're 85???