Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Simon Yates

Had the pleasure of hearing Simon Yates speak this evening in Palmer Lake. I'm sure nobody who reads this knows who he is, but he's one of the world's top mountaineers. He was the subject of the movie "Touching The Void" about one of the epic mountain mishaps of all time.

I figured the entire talk would revolve around the events that shaped the movie, but it was more of a highlight reel of Yates's accomplishments. Lots and lots of first ascents of impossibly difficult peaks all around the world. I'm not really into the technical stuff he does, but the presentation was awesome and included tons of pics from the world's highest and toughest peaks.

Even more fun was getting to hang out with the Colorado Mountain Club at a great dive bar (O'Malley's) before and after the gig. I ordered a burger, and the waitress brought me out a raw beef patty. You're supposed to go cook it yourself on a grill inside the bar. Luckily there were women around to take pity on me and make sure I didn't ruin the burger.

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you drink any "Palmer Lake Brewing Company" beer?

brownie said...

No, don't think they had it. Had quite a few pints of 1554 though.

Anonymous said...

We've hashed from O'Malleys a bunch of times. I can't believe that was your first time there!!

Sounds an interesting talk.

Anonymous said...

I watched a show on Discovery last night called 'World's Deadliest Mountains'. It was all about K2 and the summer os 1986 when more climbers died on the mountain in one season than had ever died before.

I thought of you.

brownie said...

You thought of me 'cuz you knew I'd kick that mountain's butt?

Anonymous said...

I thought of how much more noble it would have been for you to die on K2 than at the hands of a woman in a bar fight.

brownie said...

We could always fight on top of Mt. Bonnell, so after I left you for dead I could steal your wallet and buy my beer at Dry Creek Saloon.

Anonymous said...

I heard about this on the TV show I was watching - the high altitude up there is making you dillusional.

brownie said...

As if! I drank a twelve pack of Pabst on top of Pikes waiting for all you Rogues to drag your asses up that hill.

Anonymous said...

I am no Pike's Peak Runner - I'll admit you could definitely beat me in a mountain run-off.

But we both know steal cage is a whole different ball game.

Maybe I'll just send my two college coed cousins (who live in the springs) to beat your ass since I know you are too afraid to show your face in Austin

brownie said...

You know college chicks in Austin and haven't sent them my way? OK, now I'm pissed, you really are gonna get your ass whupped.

Anonymous said...

Even worse.... college girls in Colorado Springs.

Anonymous said...

Even worse.... college girls in Colorado Springs.

Anonymous said...

Even worse.... college girls in Colorado Springs.

Anonymous said...

Even worse.... college girls in Colorado Springs.

brownie said...

What college? Old enough to drink?

Anonymous said...

Oh damn - I did not mean to write that 4 times. Stupid computer.

One is old enough to drink. The other is 19 I think.

brownie said...

Are they at UCCS? You should tell 'em to come out to a Kimchi hash.

Anonymous said...

I can't remember where they are. But I think the last thing I will do is send them off to get shitcanned with you guys. My aunt and uncle would never forgive me for that!

brownie said...

Hey, we only allow fine, outstanding people into the Kimchi hash!

Anonymous said...

So you are not actually in it then?

brownie said...

Not only am I a member, I'm the president! Actually, the GM, but it's the same thing.

If they're related to you though, they probably don't like to get dirty, and hence wouldn't like hashing.

Anonymous said...

Yea - squeaky clean just like their cousin! Sweet and innocent like me too!

brownie said...

Tell 'em to come to the Pikes Peak hash this Sat, 2PM at the Yukon Tavern. The P2H4 are a bit more behavied than their Kimchi brothers.