Friday, August 08, 2008

RIP

Stopped by the memorial for two bikers recently killed on the way home from work today. Pretty eerie pulling up to the corner (it was on 26th and Westend - near Bott Park and across the street from the cemetery we often hash through on the annual Black Socks trail).

Really hit home when I saw pics of the two riders on the pole - biking on trails, drinking Pabst on mountain peaks, having good times with friends - basically the same types of pics I'm always posting on this blog. I tried to imagine life just ending so quickly, one second you're having a good time with good friends, the next second you're just gone. I couldn't even wrap my mind around that possibility. Life is too short folks, don't waste what little you have.

Some pics of the memorial:

Here's a shot of the intersection where the accident happened. The road running straight up and down is 26th. Hard to tell from the lousy pic, but the bikers would have been moving very fast (it's downhill) into the intersection. The driver, heading south on 26th (towards you in this pic), didn't see the pack of bikers and made a left onto Westend, hitting them. It's a slight turn and you wouldn't have to slow your vehicle down to make it.

3 comments:

Impala Mama said...

It's so sad...always hardest to see good, young people who seemed to be very positive go. It really blows my mind that people commenting on the Gazzette were defending that crazy old lady for hitting them. Sad. Glad you went to their memorial. I will oficially enjoy my night tonight, and I hope you do the same.

Shorey said...

When a cyclist recently died near Austin, there were people posting on the Statesman website blaming the cyclist, so it's the same everywhere. Gotta work together, people!

Looks like a nice memorial.

TitsOnTheRitz said...

It breaks my heart. I've done the bike crawl a few times myself and a bunch of my friends were really torn up over this. There's another bike memorial downtown.