Tuesday, August 05, 2008

long overdue: Mile High Music Festival report!

Had a blast up at the Mile High Music Festival a few weekends ago. Other than the $9 beers (which were made bearable by the lax security that allowed us to bring in jack daniels and jager), the show rocked! Hope this becomes an annual event.

Day 1:

Bob Schneider - Bob rocked the house, and brang back a lot of good A-town memories for me. Lots of burnt orange in the crowd. Ended with Tarantula!

Mike Gordon - sure glad I skipped Jason Mraz for this one. I love anything that has to do with Phish, but Mike put on a real good set. Can't wait to pick up his new CD. My vote for best set of the first day.

Citizen Cope - one of the forgettable acts of the weekend. He had one good song that was heavily played on 101X a while ago. And he doesn't have much else.

JJ Grey & Mofro - one of the bigger disappointments. I used to love these guys back when they were just plain 'ol Mofro. Not that JJ has gotten a big head I guess they don't feel the need to jam like they used to. Though they did do a killer version of Lochloosa.

Moe. - Great set, though I only got to check them out for a short time. Damn festivals, you're always missing something cool.

O.A.R. - my first time seeing one of my favorites live. And they didn't let me down! Real good live act. Plus, they ended with Crazy Game of Poker!

Michael Franti & Spearhead - Chilled way out on a grassy hill for this one, but they sure sounded good. First time ever hearing them, I'll be checking them out in the future. Michael Franti used to be a bike messenger, and ex-bike messengers are always super cool.

Tom Petty - a huge surprise. Didn't really think I was a Tom Petty fan, but his set rocked! Seemed like I knew the lyrics to everything he played. Brought Steve Winwood up for a few songs, including "Can't Find My Way Home" which was awesome. And Tom's "Don't Come Around Here No More" was one of the highlights of the weekend.


Day 2:

Tea Leaf Green - been hearing a ton of things about this band, but the few songs I caught didn't really impress me.

Rodrigo Y Gabriela - sheesh, those two can do quite a bit with acoustic guitars. Would love to see 'em at a smaller venue. Real good set. I think Monte Montgomery could outshread either of 'em.

Leftover Salmon - never heard these guys before, but their set rocked! I'll definitely be checking them out in the future, think they're playing the Fillmore on Halloween. They even have a painter in the band - while the band jams, this guy dances and paints a picture of the audience.

John Mayer - I wish I got 1% of the pussy this guy gets. But I only stayed for a few songs, as his setlist consisted of all his lovey-dovey crap.

The Black Crowes - good times with the southern rock! I love the Crowes and was psyched that they played more of their older stuff.

Dave Matthews Band - been one of my favorites for a long time. Great set, lots of older stuff. I used to see these guys in bars back when I was at Pitt, and though they've gotten huge they haven't lost any of their intensity.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

damn-jealous you got to see some solid bands. counting down for acl. always a treat listening to bands that you have never heard before or getting pleasantly surprised.

how is recovery going?