Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Hope Pass lightweight double crossing?

Maybe someone can point out if this is a stupid idea or not.

The hardest part of Leadville is the dreaded Hope Pass double crossing. It's the 20 miles from Twin Lakes out to Winfield and back. It goes up and over Hope Pass, the highest point of the course at 12,600 feet.

You leave Twin Lakes and things aren't too bad for about 1.25 miles. Then you do the big river crossing. Soon after that you begin the climb, almost 3,500 feet straight up. About half a mile from the top of Hope Pass (roughly 4.5 miles from Twin Lakes) there's a small aid station. Then you hit Hope Pass and bomb down the other side to Winfield. Drink a Pabst at Winfield, then head back up and over the Pass and back to Twin Lakes.

Last year, and the plan for this year, I wore my camelbak with 3 liters of water and gear for a storm. Lots of weight. After thinking about it, I'm wondering if I can get through this section using only water bottles.

My splits from last year:

Twin Lakes to Hope Pass AS: 2 hours
Hope Pass AS to Winfield: 1:45
Winfield to Hope Pass AS: 2:15
Hope Pass AS to Twin Lakes: 1:15

I think those times will be faster this year since I'm in better shape and I know the course.

Anyone see any reason I can't do this section with one water bottle?

I can chug a ton of fluid at Twin Lakes and Winfield. They have to hump everything up to Hope Pass via llama, so I'd feel bad for using that much water up there, though I could refill my bottle. Also thinking I can chug an entire bottle from Twin Lakes to the river crossing and then refill there. Yeah, there's a giardia risk, but even if the water in the river is bad, it won't show up for a week or so.

There's also a risk with the weather, as I'll be above treeline around Colorado t-storm time with no rain gear. But this is a risk I think is much less than anything I took on at Hardrock, so I'm not too worried.

So what should I do: one bottle or two?

3 comments:

meredith said...

2 25 ounce bottles!! Better to have and not need than need and not have...
mer

Carie said...

Giardia's overrated. I lived with it for 2 years. Suck it up and drink the natural water.

aka Moogy said...

I agree w/ Mer but I always carry two, just for a *balance* thing. Maybe only fill them up 3/4 each. And I've always brought a light shell tied around my waist because in 04 (I think it was) we had a freaking hail/snow storm up there.
Good luck dude!!!