Wednesday, July 30, 2008

someday

Current front page story on cnn.com deals with the legalization of marijuana. I LOVED this quote:

"The vast amount of human activity ought to be none of the government's business. I don't think it is the government's business to tell you how to spend your leisure time."

Nice to see Rep. Frank bringing the idea to DC. I don't think it will go anywhere this time, but I do believe that sometime during my life I'll see the legalization of marijuana.

I have a close up view of the war on drugs here from my desk, and I haven't figured out why the big guns worry about marijuana users. I know I have to track a lot of people who are definitely a threat to the community, none of whom are potheads. And yet I spend a good chunk of my day worrying about marijuana users. It's a horrible waste of my time (which is generously paid for by Colorado taxpayers) and it allows much more dangerous criminals to go unchecked for longer periods of time. Yeah, I know I also waste time blogging, but as a state employee I am required to blow time at work doing nothing work related.

My fix for the problem? Decriminalize marijuana and spend that money (it would be a LOT of money - tens of billions - when you consider law enforcement and incarceration costs) keeping kids in school. The most common denominator of the people I deal with? A 10th grade education...

5 comments:

Dave Philipps said...

Here's a bigger common denominator: shitty parents.

brownie said...

Good point. Some of that "stay in school" money can go towards sex ed.

Impala Mama said...

Oh, you big hippie, I actually COMPLETELY agree with you on this topic. I will try to help eliminate some of the shitty parenting out there. I can name three kids that are probably less likely to do drugs....although they may become raging alcholoics...is that bad?

Impala Mama said...

By the way, how hard were you trying to post that last comment at 4:20? Yes, I noticed.

brownie said...

No true stoner is ever on time.

Alcohol, at least the way I drink it, is probably worse for your body than marijuana. Neither are even close to a pack of cigarettes a day. Funny how our gov't works.