Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Part III: Chapman Gulch to Telluride

Another section of Hardrock, another killer climb. Leaving the Chapman Gulch aid station, it’s a rough three mile climb up to Oscar’s Pass. Looking at the course profile, I knew there were four big climbs before I got to Ouray, and I figured if I could get past those I’d be looking at a finish. But sheesh, that second climb had taken a lot out of me and this one wasn’t helping much.

I didn’t keep track of pace, but like I said earlier there were some points in the race where it took me over an hour to cover a mile. And this hill was more than likely one of ‘em. But I kept at it, and soon enough I was finally at the top of Oscar’s Pass, slightly above 13,000ft. A big milestone in the race, as it was all downhill to the first mining town – Telluride. Basically, Hardrock goes through four old mining centers: Telluride, Ouray, Lake City (Sherman), and Silverton. So I felt like I was a quarter ways done once I got to Telluride.

Of course, downhill sounds easy but the HR course has a way of making that difficult. Very technical trail, with lots of ankle breakers, hell, even leg breakers. Down the Wasatch Saddle, across more streams and snow fields, past the old Nellie mine. Lots of exposure on this section, but I do my best to ignore it.

Soon enough, I’ve made my first visit to Telluride! Big aid station here, and once again it’s great to see Katie and Melissa, plus my added crew of Joyce and Lynn. For the first time all day, I take a seat. Change socks, chow down some yummy mac & cheese, refill my camelback, drink a few cokes. Come into T-ride at 2:42PM and leave at 2:53. 27 miles down. I’ve been running for almost nine hours. Still, though battered and bruised, I’m feeling pretty decent considering the challenge I’m taking on.

I’ll be returning to Telluride very soon for Imogene Pass and the Blues & Brews festival. I’m glad the journey there will be much easier than what I just went through…

No comments: