Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Part IX: Sherman to Pole Creek

Leaving Sherman, the course finally has some pity on us as we get to cross a bridge, as opposed to heading straight through the water. Trail switchbacks along Cottonwood Creek, giving us runners tons of scenic waterfalls for our viewing pleasure.

I’ve now been running for 30 hours and I’m exhausted. Melissa must realize this and approves my request for a 15 minute catnap. I find a perfect place near the creek and take a well deserved rest.
In no time at all I’m back on the trail, heading up towards Cataract Lake. I’m lucky enough to find Heinous Anus of the Durango H3 on trail here, and we talk some major smack for a few miles. Sure wish he would have been carrying some Ska brew.

Trail continues to climb until we reach the Continental Divide. Whenever I find myself on the Divide I always stop to take a leak, as part of my urine will eventually end up in the Atlantic Ocean and part will end up in the Pacific. This never fails to amuse me, though I think Melissa was kind of disgusted at the idea.

Along this part of the course Melissa and I run into a group of three runners. Two friends are running the race, and one of the guys’ girlfriend is pacing. Turns out the guy had an engagement ring duct taped to him and was going to propose to the girl at the finish. I spent several miles trying to talk him out of it but to no avail. Poor guy, like doing Hardrock wasn’t stupid enough, he was gonna pile on the retardedness that day!

Along the Divide we finally pass Cataract Lake. Trail somewhat flattens out here and I’m actually able to run most of this section. Lots of shoe sucking mud reminded me that this is a miserable experience, but I was able to make up some time on this section. Up and over Cataract-Pole Divide Pass at 12,200 feet, running strong.

Shortly after the pass the course hops onto the Colorado Trail. Still keeping a good pace I move along until, finally, the Pole Creek aid station comes into view. Down a steep hill, through a creek, across a Columbine covered meadow, and up another hill, and it’s time to eat. There have been three helicopter evacuations during Hardrock at this aid station over the years, but today I’m not going to be another one. Arrive at Pole Creek at 3:39PM. 19 miles to go. Fourteen and a half hours ‘till cutoff.

No comments: