Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Part X: Pole Creek to Maggie Gulch

Not much to say about this short section. During a pre-race course overview with Joe, he told me this section was runnable if I had anything left in the tank. And while I was well below E at this point, the fact that I would be finishing soon prodded me on. Went back to my airborne shuffle days, and though I could have walked just as fast I took pride in the fact that I was still running.

Lots of high alpine tundra in this area and I was hoping to see some elk, but all the runners ahead of me must have scared them off. In fact, I was very surprised at the lack of wildlife I had seen all day. A few birds here and there, a marmot or two, but that was it.

Melissa and I soon hit Maggie-Pole pass and it was downhill from there to the aid station. To give you an idea of how things were going, I did this “runnable” 4.3 mile section of the course in 1:41. A blistering 23:29 per mile!

Less than 15 miles to go…

No comments: