Tuesday, June 24, 2008

san juan final thoughts...

-Really, really happy with the way I ran. Other than the two huge hills I ran almost the entire course, hard to do at this race. Led to a negative split and a course PR by over 90 minutes.

-Also happy I was able to finally meet EIB pace here. My 14:15 per mile is well under the allowed fifteen minutes. Hooah!

-Finishing in twelve hours and then drinking beer while watching everyone else finish is infinitely better than being out there for 16 hours.

-Kudos to the three runners who didn't meet the 16 hour cutoff time but completed the course. I watched them finish and you could tell they had bad days. The final finisher was probably the worst I've ever seen a runner look. Way to keep on keepin' on. Like I said above though, I'm glad I wasn't one of those guys this year.

-Thanks to Katie for crewing. Really helped me get in and out of the aid stations, and had Pabst on hand at all times. Hope she doesn't expect me to be so cheery at Hardrock.

-Recovery is going well. I'm much less sore than I was after Collegiate Peaks. Backing off after Divide was the right thing to do.

-I have put myself in a good position for Hardrock. Trained my ass off, glad to see those pre-5AM Colorado winter runs are paying off. A lot can go wrong at a hundred, especially Hardrock, but I feel confident about my chances of finishing before the sun sets that second time. At the finish line, I felt I could have gone out and nailed San Juan again.

-Starting my taper. I'll do the Leadville training runs this weekend, but other than those back-to-back 25 milers at altitude all my runs will be easy five milers. I'll also do a lot of hiking, bag a few more 14ers and hit the Incline.

4 comments:

Impala Mama said...

Freakin awesome--you kick ass, brownie!

meredith said...

Way to go! You have done so much hard work; you will be ready if you survive the taper :)
mer

Shorey said...

holy shit! 90 min PR? wow

Smut Mutt said...

Not bad for cool weather. Are you going to try the death-valley ultra?