Wednesday, June 25, 2008

redcloud/sunshine

Every year after San Juan I've said I was going to bag Redcloud and Sunshine Peaks, but until this year I was always too lazy.

The hike was a nice, though LONG, one. Sunshine is the lowest 14er out there, at 14,001 feet. It was number 20 for me.

Here's Katie doing her trademark snow angel. That's Handies Peak in the background, which I'll hopefully bag in three weeks as the Hardrock course goes up and over the summit.

Katie on the final approach to Redcloud. Notice the nice blue sky and fluffy white clouds:

PBR and a Philly blunt on top of Redcloud:



On the ridge over to Sunshine. Funny how clear the sky looks...


The top of Sunshine. A crazy storm blew in from nowhere. Snow, rain, lightning. We had to drop down from Sunshine, head a mile back over the ridge (all above 13800 feet), re-summit Redcloud, and then haul ass down to treeline. Good times! Of course, as soon as we hit treeline, the storm disappeared and the sun came out. Gotta love that Colorado weather.

Off this Friday to bag three more 14ers, two of which will be new ones for me. Think of me while you're slaving away at your desk, lackeys!

1 comment:

Carie said...

I plan on being nice and hungover at my desk on Friday.