Monday, June 23, 2008

part 3 - Williams Creek to Carson

Shot out of the WC aid station just behind Rich. It's about two miles along a jeep road to the next climb, the longest and steepest of the course. I ran those two miles pretty fast, passing quite a few people, including Rich.

But then the fun started. The climb up to the Divide starts about mile 17 and takes you from approx. 9300 feet back up over 13000 feet. In seven miles. It reminds me a lot of Longs Ranch Road here in Manitou, but much longer. I attack the hill hard, hiking as fast as I can. Picked up my iPod at WC and was listening to the Widespread Panic Red Rocks show I saw last year, and it was helping ease the pain of the climb.

Pass a few more people on the climb into the Carson aid station (22 miles). Carson is an abandoned mine city, with some of the buildings still standing. Once again, I'm in such a hurry to exit the aid station that I forget to eat.

No comments: