Monday, June 09, 2008

Hardrock update

Hard to believe, but I'm barely a month away from Hardrock. Just finished up a low mileage week with the Garden run, and it's three more weeks of hard training before the big weekend. Highlights of the remaining time:

June 14-15 : this Saturday I'm gonna head up Pikes Peak via Barr Trail. On the way down I'll cut across to Elk Park and back. From my house and ending at Kinfolk's it's about a 38 mile run, a good chunk of which is above 10,000 feet. Sunday I'm gonna bug someone to drive me to the Crags trailhead, then run up and over Pikes Peak and back to Manitou, about 20 miles.

June 21-22 : headed out to Lake City for the San Juan Solstice 50 miler. My last big test before HR. Still some confusion as to whether or not the real course will be run due to all the snow. Sunday morning will be a hike to bag Redcloud and Sunshine, a twelve mile round trip that I've said I'd do the past two years and haven't. I mean it this time!

June 28-29 : off to Leadville for their training camp. Supported runs along the Leadville Trail 100 course, including the Hope Pass double crossing. Plus, drinking at the country's highest brewpub is always a great thing.

Still a lot of work to be done, and all this will leave me two full weeks to taper. Looking at cutting back my mileage during the week, but working on picking up the pace of those runs. A little less pounding on the body, but still working hard. I feel like my body is right on the edge of breaking down, if I can keep skirting that line for the next three weeks I should be good to go come race day.

No comments: