Friday, April 13, 2007

Barkley marathon

Researching Barkley for my article and I found this little gem. Seems like one hell of a race. It's a bit outdated, as there have now been six finishers since the race started in 1986. I know there are some ultrarunners who read this blog, if you know anything about the Barkley let me know.

60 hours to run 100 miles
36 minutes a mile
I don't care how tough the course
I don't care how steep the hills
I can run 36 minutes a mile
All it takes to finish
I must only not quit
Over 300 runners have thought this
Only one has backed it up
The others have heard a voice
A pitiful, plaintive voice in the wilderness crying "Mommy, I can't take it anymore."
"Mommy, I want to go home."
And the voice was their own
Humility Awaits at the Barkley

1 comment:

aka Moogy said...

All I know is that you have to be pretty brain damaged to want to run it. I guess that it is some macho shit but it doesn't appeal to me. I really don't want to have to orienteer when I run a race. Wus? Sure...whatever!