Monday, October 05, 2009

PARAB

Went to the Manitou parks and rec board meeting on Tuesday. Working on the budget, fun stuff. But due to upcoming resignations, I'm soon going to be one of the longest serving person on the board (I've been there all of five months) so I had quite the say for the next year. We have a total budget of $200,000. I did get $20,000 put towards finally finishing the hike and bike path, which was the reason I joined in the first place, so the night wasn't a total waste.

Afterwards I went out and got completely shitfaced at the Tavern, Townhouse, and the Keg. That was much more fun than the meeting.

3 comments:

Anton said...

NICE. Strong work on the path. Where is that going to go? All the way down to 21st? And, maybe you have some insight into this; why the HELL do they feel the need to pave it? Even if it was just asphalt (instead of concrete), it'd be better. Is it that much harder to ride a bike on the Monument-style gravel? It seems like it would have to be cheaper...

T

brownie said...

I don't know, I'll ask at the next meeting. I know the plans for this project (eventually it will link up with the hike and bike in Colo Springs that runs to America the Beautiful park) have been around for a long time, it's been an issue of getting money for it.

I've heard some people talking about possibly putting on a race on the Ring the Peak trail. Your thoughts?

Anton said...

Yeah, I think an RTP race would be sweet...except that there's a big gap on the south slope of Pikes. Even though I think that there are already too many 100 milers out there, I've often thought that a "Pikes Peak 100" would be completely worthwhile. Ring the Peak and add distance with Waldo and/or extra stuff in the Jones Park area. Or, just a true circumnavigation of the mountain on the RTP with whatever odd distance that is (70ish miles?) would be fine, too.

Who are "people"? John?