Sunday, October 25, 2009

19:31

My quest for the A wave didn't end yesterday. Finished in 19:31. Happy with my effort, I just didn't have the race fitness I needed to finish strong through an uphill and very windy final mile. Hit mile one in 5:50 and mile two in 11:49. Obviously, my third mile was rough. But I pushed hard, and didn't get passed, so I'm happy.

Results are here. I was 15th male, pretty happy with that as a lot of fast guys came out to try and get some prize money. Talked with a lot of them after the race, and all of them said their last mile was really slow due to the conditions.

Kudos to female winner Sarah Haskins for donating her $200 purse back to the Manitou Mineral Springs Foundation!

Big shout out to my buddy Kurt who finished his first race ever! And to Katie, who was goofing off in her costume and still ran her second fastest 5K ever!

Lots of good pics to follow.

7 comments:

MW said...

sounds like you went out with the Kenyans, and the whiteness caught up with you.

Regading... "Talked with a lot of them after the race, and all of them said their last mile was really slow due to the conditions."
Please tell me your reply was: "You know, excuses are the foundation to the house of failure."

MW said...

Oh, and BIG props to Kurt! Congrats!

brownie said...

My buddy Justin went out in 4:30 and faded to fourth place. I told him if he ever falls apart like that again I'd catch him.

GZ said...

18:20 is whatcha need, right?

Maybe we can hook in at one those Denver Wash Park races.

Unknown said...

Just as I suspected... no wonder you or Ricks showed up to the CRUD party. You only got chicked 3 times.

Justin Ricks said...

I was thinking the same thing but I thought it might be my wife that catches you next time if you blow up like that again. That last mile sucked, I hit the two mile point in under 9:40 and I ran the last mile in 6 minutes.

FastED, I couldnt show up to a CRUD party I didnt even finish a ultra this year. I guess I walked into the finish at Moab but I am such a pussy I dropped at mile 29.5at Way Too Cool. By the way we didnt show up to the party but we werent afraid of running a 5k. I would bet JT would have caught you on the last mile.

Unknown said...

mmm-hmmm... That's a given JT woulda caught me... I know I'm afraid of doing speed work on my own so maybe I am afraid of a little ol 5K!