Wednesday, May 30, 2007

run #108 - Wyoming marathon

Kinda expected a DNF to happen sooner or later in my ultra career, as they happen to everyone. Actually kinda glad to get it out of the way before Lake City and Leadville.

Went up to Wyoming for the Rocky Mountain Double Marathon. Did not practice great pre-race behavior by getting shitty drunk in Fort Collins on Friday night, spending a good chunk of Saturday running around above 10,000 feet before getting drunk again, and then skipping my pre-race coffee to get to the start of the race on time Sunday morning.

Still, the race actually didn't go that bad. Physically, I felt fine. Mentally, I was just drained. At the halfway point, the RD came up to me and said, "if you drop now, you'll get an official finish in the Wyoming Marathon." Honestly, I felt fine, I just didn't feel like running another 26.2 miles. So after taking a few minutes to ponder his offer, I decided to bag it.

Special thanks to Meredith, who gave me some diet tips to help with my cramping during races. Not a single cramp despite the heat!

Results aren't posted yet, but I was just under 4:30, not counting the time I sat down before I decided to drop. Wish I woulda decided to run the marathon earlier, I think I coulda ran a lot faster. Still, it was a pretty good effort at a bit higher altitude, should prepare me for my two big races of the year.

For those keeping track at home, it was my 9th race of the marathon distance. And if I ever decide to run one in all 50 states, I only have 46 to go!

Not too disappointed, as you'll see from the pics to be posted later it was one hell of a road trip!

Congrats to Dani for her finish in the half marathon, and also to all the Bolder Boulder folks!

Start time: 6AM
Distance: 26.2 miles
Time: 4:29:59
Pace: 10:18 minutes per mile
Weather: highs reached the 80s, even at the higher elevation

2 comments:

Smut Mutt said...

I'm confused - was this a marathon (26m) or a double-marathon and you just did half?

brownie said...

It was a marathon and a double marathon. To get the double, you did the marathon twice.