Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Pikes Peak or bust...BUST!

"I'd rather be in the mountains contemplating God, than in church contemplating the mountains." The quote from an unknown member of the Incline Club, trying to comfort those who felt guilty bailing on church this past Easter morning.

Not that I felt bad. I've always hated church, stemming from the days when my parents used to force me to go twice a year (we were a C&E family). Even back in my kiddo days I had a distaste for religion. Like Gov. Jesse Ventura said, "Religion is a crutch for the weak, for those who need strength in numbers."

Anyways...the workout was up to Barr Camp and back, but I had notions of going higher, perhaps even to the summit of Pikes. Made great time and was feeling awesome well past Barr Camp, up to Bottomless Pitt, and I thought I just might make it.

Shortly after the Pitt, though, trail started to turn ugly. Still a lot of snow and ice up around 11,000 feet. As I approached treeline I was having trouble staying on the trail and started slipping all over the place. I decided to call it a day and turn around.

Glad I did too. Stopped by the Barr Camp on the way down to talk to fellow ultrarunners Teresa and Neil (who have the best job in the world as caretakers of the Barr Camp). They said that above treeline the trail gets really nasty, with some places having waist deep snow.

Even after spending 20 minutes at Barr Camp shooting the shit, I made treeline and back in just over five hours. Not too shabby.

As a reward to myself for the effort, I enjoyed a great Easter feast at Purple Castle!

2 comments:

SNAKE HUNTERS said...

I've often wondered if the
Silver Dollar Saloon
is still in Leadville.

I was there in '43-44 with
the 10th Mtn Division.

I don't Shoosh the mountains
any more. Now,I just Blog. reb

www.lazyonebenn.blogspot.com

brownie said...

I'll visit Leadville soon and find out for you.