Wednesday, April 05, 2006

GOTG/Incline +/CO Running Club happy hour

Training has been going great. When I first arrived in CO, I gave myself until the clocks moved ahead to get used to the hills and altitude. Was probably a smart move, and this week I've really upped my training.

Tuesday morning I was at the Garden of the Gods at 6AM for a training run with the Pikes Peak Road Runners. Never found the parking lot they were at, but I got in a great run nonetheless. I was lost for about 45 minutes, but there's probably no better place to be lost than GOTG. Very beautiful, getting to watch the sunrise over all those rocks. Got a good hour run in before heading home.

Tuesday evening a CRUD buddy and I did our weekly incline workout. Did the "long" version, which adds about 90 seconds from my usual route, and still broke 33 minutes. One of my best times. At the top of the incline Paul suggested taking a longer way down, and we ended up exploring Rocky Mountain for about 70 minutes. Great workout.

Tonight was the happy hour run at Colorado Running Company. I always go to this saying I'm gonna take it easy, but I never do. Hard for 30 minutes out, turn around and race back to the beer.

Tomorrow morning it's an early lap around Memorial Park (about an hour). Later that evening is the weekly CRUD hill climb, up Barr Trail to No Name Creek.

Good luck to all the Austinites who begin training for the Pikes Ascent/Marathon this week. I have a newfound respect for flatlanders who attempt this race. All this crazy mountain training I'm doing, that race is still gonna hand me my ass.

Gonna try to get in a few minor climbs soon, since the weather below 10,000 feet has been fantastic lately. Cameron's Cone (10,707 ft), Rocky Mountain (9,250 ft), and Mount Manitou (9,429 ft) are all hikable right now. Should give me a good workout and let me brush up on my map skills, which I haven't used since my infantry days.

2 comments:

Gagger said...

Garden of the Gods looks amazing. Can't wait to check it out when I come visit Meat and Batt!

brownie said...

HA! You expect those two couch potatoes to show you the outdoors? I doubt they even know where GOTG is!