Thursday, April 27, 2006

coffee makes you fat!

So I've been going through training for my new job with a few other folks. One of the perks of the job is the free coffee from the cafeteria, which I've been taking full advantage of.

Anyways, today I was talking to two of my fellow rookies, one of whom was humongously obese (i.e, could lose 200 pounds and still be way overweight) and the other was a bit lighter, but still at least 50 pounds on the wrong side of healthy.

Anyways, the huge one says to me, "I see you drink a lot of coffee." I replied, "Yeah, at least two pots a day, but more if I don't have to pay for it."

I was stunned as to what happened next, as both heavyweights started telling me about how too much coffee affects insulin levels and causes one to gain weight. I was so taken aback by the comments I wasn't even sure what to say, so I politely excused myself from the conversation, using, of course, the excuse that I had to go get more coffee.

6 comments:

Pittchick said...

Were they blind as well as obese? I always thought eating more calories than you burn contributed to fatness.
I always thought a bit of caffeine was good for runners.

On another note, why is it OK to tell people who smoke that smoking will one day kill them, etc..., but it's considered rude to tell a fat person that eating bad things could also kill them?

dayoldfish said...

I used to go to Pluckers a lot, every Tuesday I would run into a co-worker. When I stopped going I ran into him at work, he mentioned he had not seen me there in a while, without thinking I said I was trying to lose weight. The guy is massive. At least one good thing about him, he always takes the stairs.

Rafael said...

Who was it?

Rafael said...

Actually, the coffee is fine, it's all the sugar and creamer and other crap that they put in it

The guy you never see said...

Caffeine is good for you as long as you take it black and without 1/2 dozen jelly donuts. Early in the day it helps raise your metaabolic levels and lets your body burn fat more easily. Adding sugar, sweeteners, donuts, cookies or whatever raises your sugar levels which your body turns into fat stores.

Yeah, yeah, yeah I know TMI. Learned this fact as I shrank down to sub-200, lost 3 1/2 inches off my waist and have an energy level like a 30 year old. Yes, I can see my pee-pee now and I haven't worn a 34 waist since college.

Bragging!! Drink!

K said...

These women were complaining at a Weight Watchers meeting I went to years ago (yes). "Carrots used to not count against our daily points allowance, and now they cost us one point!" Whine whine whine. The leader smirked, and bellowed, "Get real! Ain't none of us here for eating too many damn carrots!" Or drinking too much coffee. Touche.