Monday, February 20, 2006

Relactic

Saturday afternoon it was off to the Fillmore in Denver for the Galactic/Rebirth Brass Band show! Woohoo!

MeatGazer and I left the Springs pretty early, wanted to do some pub crawiling before the show. The drive from my place to Denver is beautiful, it runs right along the front range and the scenery is awesome. Much, much, better than the drive from Killeen to Austin!

Anyways, we arrive pretty early and decide to try out Sancho's Broken Arrow. Neither MG nor I had ever been here, so imagine our surprise when we walk inside to find a Grateful Dead bar! One of the coolest bars I've ever been to, this place rocked! Best jukebox I've ever seen, with bands like Panic, Hot Tuna, Buddy Guy, SRV, tons of Dead bootlegs, Phish, Little Feat, Hendrix, Zeppelin, String Cheese, and lots more. They even had PBR in the bottle! And after a few of those PBR bottles I kept referring to the place as "Dirty Sanchez's" and then had to inform MG what a Dirty Sanchez was. She's looking for someone to try it on her, if anyone is interested.

Anyways, the pub was so cool that our crawl started and ended there. Around 7PM we left and went across the street to the Fillmore for the show. Rebirth Brass Band was opening, and those guys are awesome! Saw them before at Stubb's, and I was quite the dancing fool. And once again they didn't disappoint. Their set was kinda short though, which sucked, but I was looking forward to seeing Galactic.

Galactic is one of my favorite bands, and I'm one of the few who like them even more since their lead singer left. They took the stage and immediately started rockin'. Both bands on the ticket are from New Orleans, and there was definitely a Mardi Gras theme. Guest performers galore, all with a NOLA flavor. Some chick named Trish Bootey came on and sang a bunch of songs. Never heard of her but she had a fantastic voice, sort of reminded me of Lauryn Hill. She was on stage for the highlight of the night, when a band member announced, "we're gonna play this for our hometown" and they busted into Zep's "When The Levy Breaks." They also had some freestyle rapper dude who relocated to Denver after the hurricane. Kinda cool seeing a jamband playing backup for some gangsta rapper. Another great part of the show was when the entire Rebirth Brass Band joined Galactic on stage, along with the Wild Magnolias, for some NOLA jams! The jamming might have gone on for half an hour straight with all the solos, and included a balloon drop and a parade through the crowd with some crazy Mardi Gras costumes and one of those Chinese dragons. Great stuff!

Show didn't end 'till about 1AM, so Meat and I got in a good five and a half hours of live music. Gagger and Lewis, I thought this Galactic show was much better than the one we saw at Stubb's (and I thought they were good at Stubb's) so you gotta give them another chance next Halloween.

Next up at the Fillmore is Keller Williams and guests, woohoo! FYI, Keller is playing this year's Old Settlers Music Festival!

6 comments:

Rafael said...

I didn’t even think they made PBR in a bottle. A rusty trombone is better.

Gagger said...

Ok, I'll think about giving Galactic one more shot to knock my socks off....

dayoldfish said...

sounds like that show rocked, guess I will go check them out this year. Keller is going to be at Old Settlers, guess I am finally going to have to go

dayoldfish said...

Checvked Rebirth's site, they will be here for the Swamp Romp on April 8th. I have never done this event, although I have been thinking about goingfor the last four years.

brownie said...

Swamp Rock is awesome, I saw Cowboy Mouth there before! Rebirth plays Stubb's three or four times a year, FYI.

Gagger said...

I should be back in town by Tuesday, Oct 31 from my hot cousin's wedding, so guess I'll have to check out the show one more time.