Wednesday, February 15, 2006

pub run

Latest news from the Austin Duathletes, including a mention of the marathon beer check and the next pub run.

----------

Hi all,

The bad news is that there will be no Austin Duathlon this year. Because of my work schedule and other personal matters, I just don't have the time to be a race director for a real race this year. Nor could I talk anyone else who actually knows what they're doing into doing it--for the same reasons. So, after some discussion with a couple of board members and our race committee chairman, we decided that 2006 would be the year that we just focus on doing the little things for the club and let the race happen organically.

The good news is that I just saved a ton of money on car insurance by switching to Geico.

Here are some updates:

--The next PUB RUN is Thursday, February 23rd, the Thursday after Freescale. That's next week, to you and me.

--The Austin Duathletes CLUB JERSEYS are being worked on. Our sponsors are all in place, and we're just about ready to order the jerseys. I'll send out a separate email next week about ordering, but, if you're interested in a jersey, please let me know. I'll let you know the price for the jerseys as soon as I can.

--There are many opportunities coming up for VOLUNTEERS. The Tough Cookies ladies only duathlon is in early April, and our own race chairman, Jack Murray, will be putting on a number of triathlons this year, such as Jack's Generic and The Rookie. And don't forget the big 2: DANSKIN is in early summer and THE DARND'ST DU IN TEXAS will be in late summer. I'd like to make that duathlon our signature duathlon, since we won't be having our own this year, so please, if you know Raul, put in a good word for the club and think about volunteering in late August.

--Please take time to have a drink or four at one of our new sponsors, THE SIDE BAR, on 7th and Red River. The owners are nice folks who like to run and ride, and they might even treat you to something special if you tell them you're an Austin Duathlete.

That's all I have this week. For everyone who's running Freescale this Sunday (I'll be a 3:30 pacer, btw), GOOD LUCK! I hope that you achieve your goal, and remember to stop for beer at mile 25. Maybe JT will come back from Colorado to work the stop.

Also, if you're interested, there will be a post-Freescale party at Six on Sunday at 7:30. This originally was a Rogue-oriented event, but, if enough people show up, maybe we can turn it into an annual Austin tradition. I know that Chris Ruhling would be happy about that!

Adios,

--Panther

No comments: