Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Longmont/Canya Canon

Saturday - Went deep into the heart of enemy territory, Longmont. Brandon heard I was coming and high tailed it to the mountains. Knew I needed to start doing the short stuff more often, and when I heard a hasher buddy of mine was the RD for a low key cross-country race, I signed up. Three loops of a 1.2 mile course, which included some singletrack, some obstacles, and lots of grass. My plan was to go out way too hard and hang on. Executed that to perfection. Hit lap #1 in 7:20, already in oxygen debt. The next two laps hurt REAL bad but I hung on and managed not to get passed, though lots of guys were trying. Was expecting to run 24:30, ended up finishing in 22:52. Got another 5.5 miles of warm up/cool down in. As an extra bonus, I won a gift card to the Pumphouse Brewery in the post-race raffle. Not sure how much it was for, but JMock and I split four pints and I ended up paying $1 for them.

Sunday - Nice 10-ish miler (I ran some bonus miles after the race to make sure of this) with Rick H and Jesse from my place through Red Rock Canyon, Section 16, Bear Creek Park, and Stratton Open Space. Then it was time for the Cheyenne Canon Hill Climb, a 6K up a monster hill from the Starsmore Discovery Center to Helen Hunt Falls. Not a very motivating race for me, I was expecting a lot more but just couldn't get the legs going. Solid, but slow. Tried to rally at every kilometer sign, but today just wasn't my day. Finished in 41:50. Last year I had taken September off and then cranked it up during October and ran 36 minutes. Took October off this year, and I could feel a big difference. But I'll get there...

Celebrated afterwards with all the Laughing Lab you could drink! Holly finished with $100, her first race.

No comments: