Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Colorado breweries

Despite my reputation for swilling cheap, yellow beer, I do enjoy drinking the fancy stuff from time to time. And when this list came out, I decided to visit every last brewery on the map. Made quite a dent on that list over the weekend, stopping at the following brewpubs on the way to and from the Grand Canyon:

Steamworks Brewing Company (Durango)
J. Fargo's (Cortez)
Carver Brewing Company (Durango)(their CO Trail Nut Brown Ale is my new favorite micro!)
Silverton Brewery
Ourayle House

On top of all that, the Bright Angel Lounge had the Grand Canyon Pilsner on tap, from the Grand Canyon Brewing Company in Williams, AZ. I'm generally not a big fan of pilsners, but this stuff wasn't half bad. Hopefully next year they have the South Rim Oatmeal Stout on tap for when I finish the run.

Back to Colorado - I've been to the Silverton Brewery and Ourayle House before, but it was just too tough to drive by 'em without stopping.

Katie and I tried to go to the new Colorado Boy Pub and Brewery in Ridgeway, but it was closed. We had also planned on hitting Smuggler's (I've been to the one in Telluride but not Montrose) and the Gunnison Brewery, but we had to bail to get to Moonlight Pizza in Salida before they closed. I'm headed back out that way at least twice this year (for Hardrock and Telluride Blues & Brews), so I'm sure I'll visit them soon enough.

Good times! And the tour continues this weekend as Katie and I make the drive out I-70 to Fruita. On tap for this weekend:

Breckenridge Brewery
Backcountry Brewery (Frisco)
Dillon Dam Brewery
Pug Ryan's (Dillon)
Glenwood Canyon Brewing Company (Glenwood Springs)
Kannah Creek Brewing (Grand Junction)
Meadery of the Rockies (Palisade)
Palisade Brewery
Rockslide Brewpub (Grand Junction)

Remember kids, don't drink and drive.

I'm thirsty...

No comments: