Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Camo Black Ice


People say I never try new things, but I aim to prove them wrong. After every shift at Crown Liquor I will be sampling a new beverage and reporting on it.

Unfortunately, because of the robbery of my jeep and the insane cost of registering a vehicle in the state of Colorado, I had to pass on the high end shelf and try something a little more cost effective.

Enter Camo Black Ice. Emptying the wallet to the tune of $0.89, it gives me everything I need.

First, hard to tell from the lousy pic, but the can is a work of art. You know it's quality with such slogans as "ice brewed," "high gravity lager beer," "ice brewed for extra smooth taste," and my favorite, "xxXxx." Weighs in at a malt liquor hash acceptable 10.5% ABV. For the record, it is brewed by the Five Star Brewing Company out of Lacrosse, WI. You also get a $0.05 refund for the can in Colorado, which works out to a free beer for every nineteen I buy. I've rarely been treated that well in the pubs I visit!

The taste? Well, lets just say you don't buy this for the taste. Take a can of Schlitz, leave it on your dash for a few days in the Austin summer, return it to the fridge for a few months, and Camo is what you get. And yes, I've done that to a can of Schlitz before. Though, I do think Camo would taste incredible with some orange juice.

There is also a Camo White Ice version. That is "naturally" brewed (as opposed to "ice" brewed) but weighs in at a miniscule 9.5% ABV. I'm not really into that NA crap.

Overall impression is that this is something I"ll buy again. Not gonna win any awards at the GABF anytime soon, but sometimes you just wanna drink beer to get drunk. And for those times, this is the perfect brew.

1 comment:

Nick said...

Bring some to the mall walkers hash!