Friday, May 05, 2006

new job


New gig at the Griffith Center is working out great. Definitely made the right choice bailing on the Cedar Springs job and taking this one. Besides the better pay and close location, I now get to wear jeans to work! Sneakers too, just in case I have to run an escapee down. And the people I work with seem pretty cool too. It's also rare to find anyone who has been there for less than two years and most have been there significantly longer, so maybe I'll actually keep this job for a while. Even have great medical benefits now, right in time for 14er season!

The actual work part has me as a counselor on a sexual offense unit. The unit currently has about a dozen kids, ages 12 to 17, most convicted of a crime and sent here for rehab. A lot of these kids are such sad cases, I can't imagine they'll ever get over the trauma they've faced. But we do what we can to help 'em out. A team (the therapist and counselors) figures out a treatment plan for each kid, then the counselors implement the plan.

The Griffith Center owns a school across the street, so the kids can continue their education while they're here. There are also other units on the "campus" (the whole campus is about a city block) such as abuse and high risk (violent).

Work trip coming up in a few month to the Slot Canyons of Utah, hoping to get in on that. Missed the mountain bike trip to Moab already, which sucks. Oh well, next year.

1 comment:

Pittchick said...

I hope it works out for you. I mailed your stuff yesterday.