Sunday, May 21, 2006

enemy contact!

I got shot at today. Not one, not two, but three bullets came approximately ten feet from hitting me. About a dozen more shots were fired in my general direction, but none of those were that close. Once again I got to hear that distinctive sound a bullet makes when it whizzes by so close to you.

One of my running routes runs behind a shooting range. Turns out some dickhead was firing the wrong way. Thought I had left behind all the idiots with guns when I left Texas but I guess not.

The shooters weren't shooting at me, they didn't see me and were shooting into the area I was in. Which is an area very popular with hikers and trail runners, but luckily I was the only one in the kill zone at the time. They've had a lot of problems with safety issues at that particular shooting range, and I plan on filing a complaint at the ranger station tomorrow.

Still got them infantry reflexes though! The smart thing to do would have been to immediately drop to the ground and low crawl under a big rock. But I didn't want to stop my run, so I crouched down and took off, using whatever cover I could find, until I was out of the shooter's range.

Ended up being a great run. Rampart Range/Cave of the Winds/Waldo Canyon/Ute Pass in just over three and a half hours. Wanted to do the incline too but I ran out of time since I have to work tonight.

5 comments:

Rafael said...

Damn, it's been awhile since I've heard that sound myself. I gotta tellya, I don't miss it one bit. Good on ya for not stopping your run.

Barbara said...

Holy crap...are you sure you didn't date one of their daughters? lol

BRAE said...

Whining…drink!

Spotty said...

You make it back from the combat zone and then you get shot at running in colorado? Crazy....be careful out there. Try not to get shot until after all the cool hash summer weekends.

Gagger said...

Yeah, try not to get shot before CoTex because I'm looking forward to......................





...................my vodka! ;)