Friday, April 29, 2016

Cup 'O Dirt #1

Finally, my first 100K ride on the year.  I thought I'd be halfway through the Cup 'O Dirt Challenge by now, but Mother Nature has had other plans.

Easy route, from the house over to the Santa Fe trail via the Sinton Trail.  From there I went north and did a loop around Palmer Lake.

The Air Force isn't winning me over anymore.  The Santa Fe trail will now be closed until the end of summer.  A few of us commoners have been complaining about this for a while, but in the Gazette today Susan Davies, who has a much bigger audience than I do, had this paragraph in an article:

"Perhaps it's time to seriously consider a new route that would remove the region's major spine trail (also part of Front Range Trail) from academy property. Since public dollars paid for that stretch of trail, and now it is essentially a private trail at the academy, perhaps AFA would help finance an alternative trail that commuters and recreation users can rely on."

Air Force football opens on September 3 with Abilene Christian (no, that is not a high school) and I hope ten people show up.

Of course, being prior Army, I don't really take anything the Air Force says very seriously.  




Anywho, on the way back I dropped by Pikes Peak Brewing for some Elephant Rock IPA.


To stay on as much dirt as possible, I rode the final miles through Ute Valley Park.  Love those trails and I need to get there more often.

Who needs Moab?


Made a quick stop to see my other dog.


Ended up with 62.7 miles.  Strava data is over here.  Out there for almost eight hours, though that included three pretty long stops for beer (also hit Red Leg Brewing before the final push home through the Garden of the Gods).  It dawned on me as I got home that I hadn't eaten anything all day.  Did this ride on a liter of water and five beers. 

3 comments:

GZ said...

You must be fat adapted.

Unknown said...

With your ultra training are you keeping your heart rate below threshold for more fat burning? There is a sandwich in each beer and it dulls the pain ;). I am also tired of the AFA repeatedly closing what is a public trail!

brownie said...

I don't track heart rate, but my long stuff, and most of my short stuff, isn't at a high effort. I've just always been able to go long distances without much food for some reason.

That being said, I'm going to Vegas at the end of May and I'm going to destroy the buffet at the Bellagio!

When they said "early Spring" I just assumed they would open it right after graduation (Obama is speaking this year). But this new late summer announcement is bullshit. If there's such a security threat on the Santa Fe and Falcon trails, then one would think the Cadet Chapel, Falcon Stadium, and Clune Arena would be off limits as well. But tourists don't spend money on the trails.