Monday, June 01, 2015

Grand Junction Off Road

Incredible time out in Grand Junction over the weekend.  Didn't do so well in the ride - it was way too technical for my abilities - but I survived.  Really great trails out there.  We will definitely be returning to this event next year, and we're pretty much decided on heading back out to GJ over Thanksgiving.

On Friday I got to demo a super expensive fat bike.  I used it to roll out and meet $100 and Amanda as they were riding the 15 miler.



That evening we got to see Big Sam's Funky Nation.


A few years ago this band came through the Springs and I got to meet them.  They didn't remember me this time around.


On Saturday I started the race riding as hard as I could, but after an hour I knew I was in way over my head and if I continued to push that hard I'd end up in the hospital due to a crash.  So I decided to have my first beer of the day and wait for some friends who were taking things at a much more leisurely pace.


The day got much more enjoyable once I slowed down.  Though it certainly didn't get easy.  Super hard, technical course.  Took me almost eight hours to do the 40 miler.  For reference, I rode Leadville at a much easier effort and that hundred miler took me less than three more hours.



We got a wine glass for finishing.  Which we used to drink Fireball at Rockslide Brewing right after the ride.


My phone died early Saturday evening, so no pics of the Shakey Graves show, but it was awesome.  Pro tip: we bought a growler at Rockslde for $10 and drank that, much better than paying $5 per pint at the beer tent.

Sunday morning I went for a run along the Colorado river and watched the pro guys and gals take off.  Then we hit the Colorado National Monument and took the dog hiking in McInnis Canyon.



We were sad to leave, and it seemed to take forever to drive home, but we made time to drop by Leadville and see an old friend.  Dooper seems to be doing really great.


No comments: