Monday, January 02, 2012

racing

Ended 2011 and started 2012 with some racing.

Headed down to Pueblo on Saturday for the Raptor Resolution Run 5 miler. Pretty cool place. I ran the race while $100 took the dog for a hike. Two person race right off the bat, unfortunately the other guy was much faster. I took the lead just after one mile and held it to mile three, but Paul K is just a faster runner so he dropped me over the final two miles. Had gone in wanting a 32:30 and ended up with a 32:35. Not too shabby with the heinous wind. Also won a year membership to the Nature and Raptor Center. Stopped at Bingo Burger and Shamrock Brewing before heading home.

Sunday was the annual Rescue Run. I was hungover as all get out, so I figured it was better to suffer through a hard 5K than run a 60+ minute 10K. Volunteered at pre-registration so I got no warm up in, then struggled to a 20:47. Can't believe I didn't barf out there.

Looking to become the Bernie B of the middle of the pack in 2012. Next race is Saturday at the monthly Nielsen Challenge. 2.5 hour run on the Santa Fe trail, then 2 miles all out.

9 comments:

GZ said...

Weekend doubles then?

Local Mind Media said...

Sounds like you're adopting GZ's race schedule. What's with the shorties? You'll never make it to Putnam at Hardrock...

GZ said...

'scuse me? I have not declared a race schedule. You keep talking like that and I am going to call the EPA on your ass.

Local Mind Media said...

Sorry, I forgot you ran that wicked hard 100. :-o

I think I just read something on your blog along the lines of "playing in the 5k 10k distance"… Nes pas?

Brownie's getting older and needs to stay in the ultra distance where slow and steady is cool (and floppy hats).

brownie said...

I am only worried about getting to the river crossing at Hardrock. I'll just wing the rest.

GZ said...

That 100 was not wicked haaahd. It was a wicked melt down.

Isn't Brownie like 28 or something?

Jeff Valliere said...

What is wrong with floppy hats?

Local Mind Media said...

Shit, I almost drowned in that river after my shorts were nearly ripped off my body. You're carrying me across this time.

brownie said...

The river crossing is a lot more fun when it's at mile 2 instead of mile 98.