Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Hueco Tanks

Couple 'o pics from my recent trip to Hueco Tanks.

Didn't think Katie would do too well here as it was only the second time she's ever climbed outdoors, but she killed her first two problems, both just shimmying straignt up a flat rock:

I battled this next rock real hard, but just couldn't get up and over to the top. Great problem though, had a blast taking it on:



One of the reasons they restrict usage of Hueco Tanks is due to all the rock art left by people zillions of years ago. Here's a good example. There's stuff like this all over the rocks.

Finally, Katie and I with our guide for the day, Yuri. Awesome guy, really taught me a lot about climbing in the eight or so hours we were in the park. After the park closed we got to visit the spaceship where Yuri lives. He smoked a ton of weed, I drank a few Arctic brews, and Katie did a couple lines of cocaine. Good times!

Already looking forward to next year. Think I'm just gonna go climb for two or three days, especially now that I've finally crossed Guadalupe Peak off my list.

3 comments:

John O said...

No CRACK!

That's right you were doing cracks all day.

Barbara said...

No harness at all for outdoor climbs?

Jes said...

Shit! That silly face is no reason to restrict climbing! I could draw that thing!