Tuesday, January 06, 2009

HPb 40 - Garden fartleks and domestic violence

Great run tonight.  After forgetting my watch at home I decided to bail on the track and instead do 6 x 4 minute repeats along the Garden ten mile course.  Ran very hard during the repeats, and the cold weather and heavy winds didn't make things easy on me.

After ending at Memorial Park I was walking up the hill to my house when one of my neighbors comes screaming out of his house.  He's on the phone yelling about how he needs the police right now because his dad is drunk and has already beaten him and his mom.  I can hear things breaking inside the house and there is a woman screaming like she's about to be killed.

I run up to the kid and ask if he needs help.  He's crying and can barely say anything, but I still hear the ruckus in the house, and it doesn't sound good.  Not being a real American, I decide against finding a gun and run up the steps to the house, figuring I can at least slow things down 'till the fuzz arrive.

Just as I get to the porch the woman comes running out of the house past me, and the guy isn't far behind.  He sees me and stops, so at least I've now separated everyone.  The kid is balling in the yard, the lady is crying on one side of the porch, and the guy is staring at me, sizing me up.  I can tell he's drunk as I can smell the booze from about five feet away and he's swaying.  People often make fun of me for my running attire, dressing in layers and layers of cotton and sweatshirts instead of the sissy spandex and expensive outdoor gear look, but it made me look a lot bigger than I was tonight and that probably got me out of a fight.  Though had the guy came at me I'm sure I woulda laid an ass whoopin' on him.

Eventually I'm able to talk to everyone and calm the situation.  Kept everyone separated and said I was just a concerned neighbor and was gonna hang out 'till the police came.  After about ten minutes I asked the kid what was up.  The police station is about 200 yards from my house and the 7-11 is only half a mile away, so even the not-so-elite Manitou cops should been here by now.  The kid eventually admitted he never called and was just trying to scare his dad.  So I asked everyone to behave and told them if I ever hear anything from the house again I'd be calling the pigs myself.  Haven't heard a peep since.

Start time - 6:30 PM
Distance - 10 miles
Time - 1:23:26
Pace - 8:21 per mile
Weather - 29F, "feels like" 17F, very windy
Weight - 175
Violent situations avoided by using my head instead of a firearm: 1


8 comments:

ESPN said...

Crazy story...I am glad it didn't get become more violent.

Nacheaux said...

That's a pretty scary story jt. Nice job using your mouth for something besides talking smack.

Impala Mama said...

That is really sad. makes me proud of you, of course. Do you know how many people just turn the other way during domestic disputes? Nice work being a good guy.
How old was the kid?

Unknown said...

Good job but you should have called the cops, if it happens once it will happen again and again until it ends badly for someone.

a real American would have shot him in the face with your 9mm gat

brownie said...

The kid was in high school. His dad called him a heroin addict and dealer, which I wouldn't have believed but they did have a huge bust at Cheyenne Mountain HS recently so who knows.

Next time I'll definitely call the cops, and I would have last night but I thought the kid had already called them. I remember hearing them in the summer when I'd keep my windows open. Or maybe I'll just call John and we can roll up in there all gangsta style and regulate!

Yeti said...

I'll bring my bazooka and nun-chucks!

Impala Mama said...

I can't believe you would regulate without me.

Smut Mutt said...

What John said, you shoulda called the cops. I understand the kid told you he called them but call them again anyway & tell them to put a rush on it. They would have taken drunken dad to the tank overnight. You calmed things down for the moment but do really think you've convinced the guy will change his ways?