Tuesday, January 13, 2009

50

Registration opens (and closes a few hours later) this weekend for the San Juan Solstice. I feel like I'm betraying an old friend but I won't be signing up this year. 50 miles has become my favorite distance, I really get to push my limits but I don't approach the horrible suffering I go through during the night portions of 100s. And no 50 miler is more awesome than San Juan. I've run very well there (last year when I finally joined the Cannibal Club) and, to be nice, I'll just say not so well there (2007 - I beat the cutoff by a scant 13 minutes and only beat two other runners), but all three of my trips to Lake City were great adventures.

I have to go to a wedding on race weekend this year. I usually hate weddings and think they're a farce since most people will go through more than one in their lifetime despite going into a church and swearing that this is it. But the wedding is for a great friend and it's being held on Pikes Peak, with the night before in Barr Camp, so I've made an exception.

Not a total loss, however. Instead of San Juan I'll be checking out something new, the Jemez Mountain 50 miler. Heard some cool things about that race, so it'll be nice to finally get down there.

Still, come mid-June, I'll sure be missing San Juan.

Next year...


2 comments:

Gagger said...

Sounds like a cool wedding!

Smut Mutt said...

Weddings are like hangings - fun to attend unless you're the center attraction. Also good for a free drunk.