Saturday, May 03, 2008

collegiate peaks

"Every good soldier should be able to cover 50 miles in a single day."
-JFK

Not only do I stand ready should my country call upon my services, but, like a fine box of wine, I continue to get better with age!

Old PR: 8:47:24 (Sunmart, 2005)
New PR: 8:34:36 (Collegiate Peaks, 2008)

Hells yeah, bitches! Ran probably my finest ultra to date, all the hard work I've been doing is really starting to pay off. Hopefully I can keep this streak up.

I also won the "foot-in-mouth" award, no big deal for me though this was a classic. I saw Katie on my second loop and said, "what the fuck, you shoulda been finished over an hour ago, slacker." She replied, "Sorry, someone died at the 12 mile mark and I spent an hour doing CPR on him." She did go on to finish the 25 miler much faster than her Salida time.

No more news on the runner, I didn't know who he was but he was training for Leadville, so I kinda feel a little loss.

More later, right now it's time to go get shitty drunk above 10,000 feet.

8 comments:

Jes said...

Congrats on your PR!!!!

Poor Katie...is she OK?

aka Moogy said...

Great job Brownie. You're running amazing!
If you hear anything about that runner, post it. But that is how I wanna go...doing something like running an ultra.

Gaslight ;-) said...

We had a runner go down in a HARRA race about amoth ago- and one of our AED team saved him!

It's much more difficult to monitor a trail run, much less a long race like Collegiate Peaks. You have to have team members running with walkie-talkies and the AEDs in backpacks.

I'm humbled to be part of a program that can save lives like that.

brownie said...

Yeah, Katie is OK.

The guy went down and Katie (who is a nuclear med tech - more than enough medical training to deal with the situation) and a PA were right there and started CPR. It was just the guy's time to go, I guess.

Once I ran the Philadelphia Distance run, a ten mile run right down Broad Street. A guy had a heart attack and was basically grabbed before he hit the ground by a doctor and a nurse who happened to be running right behind him. These two immediately started CPR and the guy was at TJ hospital within minutes. Still died. Sometimes it just ain't your day.

At least incidents like this give fat people justification for not working out, because the way they see it all runners are doomed to die of a heart attack while running. Much better for your lifespan to ruin the lazyboy watching TV eating junk food.

Anonymous said...

hey man-way to kick ass! it must feel really good to take your hard work to the bank! keep it rollin!

Lulu said...

Great work ass clown. We can celebrate when you come to Austin in a couple weeks for keg ball. Oh wait. You are afraid of Austin. I forgot.

brownie said...

I'm not afraid of anything! Except for pissed off, steroid junkie muscleheads who want to kick my ass..

Why me? said...
This comment has been removed by the author.