Friday, March 14, 2008

i'm thirsty...

They were talking about the Beer Drinker's Guide to Colorado beer map, a list of microbreweries across this fine beer drinking state that some of yunz have seen on the wall at Arctic, on the KILO morning show. I now have a new goal - visit every last spankin' one on the list!

I've already been to a bunch of 'em. All the Colorado Springs ones (Arctic, Bristol, Il Vicino, Judge Baldwin's, Phantom Canyon, and Rock Bottom (yes, I haven't been to Rocky Mountain brewing but that's 'cuz it ain't open yet)).

Been to a few in Denver (Breckenridge, Wynkoop).

And my mountain adventures over the past few years have taken me so some great brew pubs. Southern Sun in Boulder. The original Breckenridge brewery in Breck. Rockyard in Castle Rock. The Dam Brewery in Dillon. Ska Brewing down in Durango. Moffat Station during Invihash Winter Park. Amica's, many times, in Salida. Shamrock Brewing in Pueblo. Rosie's (America's Highest Brewery) to carbo load for the Leadville 100. Tommyknocker in Idaho Springs right after several 14ers. Coopersmith's, New Belgium, and Odell with the FCH3.

So I got a good chunk of the list taken care of. Plan to hit McClellan's in Canon City later today. I'm sure I'll hit Amica's at least once this weekend. And maybe even Pitkin Brewing in Pueblo on Sunday. Good times!

Probably take a few days after Hardrock to just travel the western slope in search of good beer. I'll be able to knock a bunch off the list during that road trip.

I now have three beer goals running concurrently:

1. Hit 100 bars in Colorado/Manitou Springs (I'm at 85 - I think on Tuesday I'll grit my teeth and finally visit the Ritz, then I'll never hafta drink in shitty downtown CS again)
2. Hit all the bars in the Liquid History guide ( I have a LONG way to go, though I'll finish Salida this weekend)
3. Visit every microbrewery on the Colorado Beer Drinker's map

Hey, a guy hasta have goals!

Be sure to check out the Beer Drinker's Guide to Colorado web site. Good stuff on there.

6 comments:

Impala Mama said...

Hit up the Ritz for lunch...their food is really good (or at least it used to be) and then you will run into less dumbasses. Trust me, you don't want to go at night.
Also, Does Holy Cross Abbey in Canon City offer beer as well as wine? I think I read they are having a free tasting this weekend......might want to check it out if you are available during all your travels.

Dena Rosenberry said...

Check out the Sunday Life section of The Gazette and play along using our Malt Madness beer drinking bracket. We've got local "beer experts" -- including the creator of the Beer Drinker's Guide to Colorado map -- tasting 32 local brews.

--dena (Life section editor)

Yeti said...

I just saw this map in the Macvans map shop on Colorado Ave. Seemed steep @ $12.95 each but had a ton of great info and was well made. Are you just getting your info off of the site or using the map?

Yeti said...

Brownie what about Palmer Brewing Co. in the basement of "The Warehouse" are they still pumping out the beer?

Erin said...

Don't forget my favourite beer, 1554, at New Belgium.

-Give me an O

pqjulie said...

If you're looking for a map of craft breweries on the web in CO and anywhere else in the U.S. (and most of Canada), check out www.pubquest.com... we also have a printable map of Denver/Boulder to use for pub crawls.

Cheers