Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Salida

Quick overview: I cut the course, informed the RD, and he DQ'd me.

Which is a bummer, because I was running really well.  Was on pace to finish in under 4:30 with a decent-but-not-balls-out effort.  Next thing I know I'm crossing the finish line in 4:10.  Watch had 24.3 miles on it.  Damnit!  Had been having a ton of fun out there all day, had finished two beers on the course, and I was letting my mind wander when I maybe should have been paying attention.  I'm sure the place I went awry, which was between mile 21 and mile 24, was well marked as I was one of only two runners in the entire field who couldn't follow the path.  This was my ninth time running the race, you'd think I'd know where to go by now.

I'm still pretty happy with the run though.  I was interested in seeing where my fitness would be with so few miles running and so many miles biking.  I'm still not sold on biking as exercise.  But after drinking late into the night on Thursday and Friday, and battling the wind for 5.5 hours on the bike on Friday morning/afternoon, the fact that I was on pace for a 4:30 at Salida, a solid time for me, gives me some confidence.

Once again a solid job by the great folks at the Chaffee County Running Club to put on the race.  As long as they keep putting on this race, I'll be there to run it.

Few pics left on my phone after the weekend:





6 comments:

trudginalong said...

Thanks for the post race fun, and thanks to Katie for the grub. Good times out there.

Chris Boyack said...

So you made the ride out there. Well done! Good on the run, too.

brownie said...

Made it to Canon City on the ride. 57 miles.

Rob said...

I am pretty sure you cut the Hardrock course last year too. I'm going to call Dale.

brownie said...

Rob, you should still be thanking me for keeping you from getting lost out there.

GZ said...

Official sign of senility is missing course markers and blaming it on beer. Next you will forget to zip it up.