Thursday, January 07, 2010

CRUD hill climb

Really suffered out there this morning. A brisk 3F at the start. Legs were heavy from yesterday so I fell off the pace right away. Up in 47 minutes, down for a total of 1:26:38. 8.4 miles total.

Lots of talk about the Ultra Runner of the Year. Geoff (yes, he's fast), and Karl (yes, he wins a lot) are up there, but in my book neither of them can hold a candle to John DeWalt! Watching him finish Hardrock, hunched over in pain and using a tree limb to keep from falling over, was probably the most inspirational running moment I've ever seen. And the guy is in his mid-70s!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Amen brother! John DeWalt is one tough dood!

Geoff is the more talented/gifted runner but Karl has more races and wins. Geoff won head to head but I still think Karl deserves UROY

brownie said...

I'd vote for Karl as well, but I'm heavily biased towards Hardrock performance. Had Kyle not lowered the bar so far last year, Karl's year would have looked even more incredible than it does now. But really all Karl did at HR was sandbag, since the only guy he had to beat was Scott J.

Unknown said...

Sheeeet! I wasn't even close and not part of the equation.

If Kyle and Geoff decide to do HR and get in then Karl has his work cut out for him. If I had to guess I'd say Geoff 1, Kyle 2, Karl 3, Browneye 201st. THAT would be a good race

brownie said...

Anyone figure out what happened to Kyle since HR? I know he resurfaced at TNF last year, but other than that he seems to have gone into hiding.

Geoff, Kyle, Karl, Matt C, and Tony. That would be a race to watch. I'd still vote for DeWalt for UROY if he finished though.

We should start a fantasy ultra league. Have a draft, points for top finishes, the "AJW penalty" for any DNF's, etc...

AJW said...

Very funny Brownie!

Carie said...

John kissed me!

MW said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C15pOfuhZrg john dewalt finishing, and i believe your ugly ass is in there too.

brownie said...

Baggy running shorts are for the cool people!