Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Red Rocks

OK, I know I'm falling a bit behind with the 'ol blog. But I gotta mention my virgin experience at Red Rocks Amphitheater before skipping ahead.

Shortly after bagging four 14ers and recovering at the South Park Saloon, Nicole and I were off to see Robert Randolph and the Black Crowes. Of course we first hit the Morrison Inn and then arrived at the show few hours early to tailgate with fellow Rogues Amy and Gwen. The end result wasn't too pretty but it definitely got me in the mood for some tunes!


As most of yunz know I'm a pretty big fan of live music. And I've always heard people talking about Red Rocks like it's some kind of live music mecca. Well, I gotta tell you folks, those people are right. Basically a concert venue carved into a mountain, I've never been to a venue that could hold a candle to this place. If you consider yourself a live music afficianado you gotta see a show up here! You can't beat the scenery and the acoustics are unbelievable.

Robert Randolph opened the show and rocked out. Very funky. Most of my loyal readers haven't heard of him, but check him out. You can bug Social Retard to burn you a copy, she's the one who introduced me to Robert and the Family Band. As a super bonus, Randolph closed his set with a cover of Jimi's "Voodoo Chile." I felt bad for the Crowes, having to follow this band on stage.

But the Crowes surely didn't disappoint. It was the last show of the tour, and they had a great sound. Very tight. Plus, they played a lot of my old favorites. Definitely a lot better gig than when I saw 'em at ACL, and I thought they were pretty good there.


So my first trip to Red Rocks was one to remember. Outdoor concert season is almost over, but I'm definitely gonna hit a lot more shows next year!

No comments: