Monday, June 02, 2014

beers 151, 152, & 153

What has two thumbs and rode his mountain bike 100+ miles on Saturday?  THIS GUY!  I gots the satellite data to prove it too. Here's an action shot.  You can see how technical and grueling the course is:



Twelve laps around Greenland and then a quick out and back to get 100.1 miles.  Only took me 8.5 hours, so I think they just mail me a big buckle from Leadville now.  I would like to point out that on my way to this monumental feat I crushed Peter's best Greenland 50K time by A FULL HOUR!

The best moment of the day was at lap three.  I was filling up my water bottle and I overheard someone mention that one of the eleven hour riders had finished one lap and gone home.  I was so psyched knowing that I wouldn't finish in last place!

Avery was there at the post-ride shindig so I grabbed beer #151.  Avery Brewing and bikes seem to go together really well for me.


Sunday I got up and did it all over again, or at least the metric version.  Just over 60 miles in 4.5 hours, rockin' the Surly Cross Check. Had a great time at both events.  I know I used to make fun of cyclists for a number of reasons, but long ago runners (especially ultrarunners) passed bikers on the race to overtake triathletes at the top of Toolbag Mountain.

After the 100K, Marc and I met up at Maddie's Biergarten in Castle Rock for burgers and beers.  I went with the Ska Wipa Snapa IPA, a beer that I had never heard of before despite being a pretty big fan of Ska Brewing.  Another quality brew from the Durangatangs.


I was sore as hell on Monday.  Not from exertion, but from sitting on a bike for two days.  Still got out on Monday AM for an easy 40 minutes with the dog in the Garden.  Monday PM was a trip up to the Top of the W's on Barr Trail.  Had been breaking 40 minutes consistently for the past few weeks, but today was closer to 45 minutes.  But I still drank some beer like a well rested and tapered champion!  Firestarter IPA from Bonfire Brewing in Eagle.  Good stuff!


4 comments:

mike_hinterberg said...

Solid!
I agree on ultrarunners overtaking mtb'ers, with whininess and boring workout postings overshadowing a more gear-intensive sport.
But I still think tri at the top, followed by roadies. At least ultrarunning doesn't make up dumb categories like age groups and CAT's. I just wanna know how many hours the winner beat me by no matter what the sport.

Let's hit some alpine riding in July and August.

brownie said...

Monarch Crest in August! Been on my bucket list since I moved to Colorado nine years ago, it's about time to cross it off.

Local Mind Media said...

Super ride! You'll do great at LT100. The course is basically like Greenland with a couple climbs mixed in.

brownie said...

Pb only has 5000 more feet of climbing than Greenland.

And I rode Greenland pan y agua. Haven't even started the 'roid cycle yet.