Tuesday, June 10, 2014

beer 160

Had me a quality Leinie for supper Monday night.  Good stuff, as most beer from Wisconsin is.

Shot of me at Balanced Rock during the Garden Ten Miler.  About 1.25 miles into the race, and O'Day was already a beaten man.  Liz was still ahead of me at this point, but not for long.


My curiosity is pretty high for this place, opening soon in downtown CS.  Burgers get most of the foodie notes here, but I'm a pretty big fan of fries as well.  Lots of competition for this joint, as Bingo Burger is right across the street and they have some yummy fries.


Stuff like this bugs me.  I get it, lots of folks want to quit their jobs and be outdoors.  I would love to get out of this cube and spend my days hiking with the dog.  But maybe not having health insurance isn't the way to go.  How long until something like this happens in the ultra world?  Not that I can talk though.  In another life I spent a summer as a bike messenger in Philly without insurance.  I guess my thought process was along the lines that I was much more likely to be killed than injured, so why worry?

Two hour bike ride home from work on Monday.  Cheyenne Canon, Stratton, Bear Creek, White Acres, Red Rock Canyon.  Much better commute than Mr. Lee (who never bugged anyone for money when he was hit on his bike a few years ago).

Tuesday morning was an easy hour back in Red Rock Canyon followed by a ride to work.

Excited to get back out to Leadville this weekend, it's been a while.  Sharpie and I will be meeting at The Scarlet for beers right after the marathon.  Rumor has it they still have $1 PBR.  The Fuller/Brownie rivalry has been pretty tame the last year or three, so I may have to reignite it by getting drunk and trashing his teepee.

Going to try to ride Powerline on Sunday.  Insurance is all paid up for the hospital visit, but hopefully you will all kick in and buy me a new bike once I break the Salsa in half.  You know, 'cuz my passion is the outdoors and all.

3 comments:

mike_hinterberg said...

I dig your honest and questioning 'tude. It would be better and appropriate if we all had catastrophic health insurance at least, which requires some initiative and responsibility. OTOH, with risk-taking, there's all kinds of grey areas of judgment -- what if we get hit commuting by foot or bike and people question if that's safe? And fundraising by friends/acquaintances for an accident is kind of a nice social safety net, that can actually be sustainable in the respect that only a small minority within a group will ever need it. And sometimes the injured person pays it forward/backward in non-monetary ways.

Instead I'll reserve my ire more for the guy asking for money to quit his job to train for and then hike AT all summer, at 6/7ths effort, while talking about the FKT thereby disrespecting the legitimate attempts at it, while promoting it as a divine plan, which then can't actually fail and is beyond criticism because it's tied to African orphans.

brownie said...

I will be covered in the event I get hit while biking to work. Though I still think I'm safer on the bike. But I recognize the risk and take steps to prepare for it. Unfortunately, this means having a job.

Would you have donated had I asked for money to repair my car after the flood on the way to Hardrock? I hope not.

I do feel bad for the guy though. He's raised 27 grand, which is probably a tiny drop in a big bucket considering what his medical bills are going to be.

mike_hinterberg said...

Your car example is still different because it's not life-or-death. But in general I agree with you on responsibility. Yet mostly am irked (I have finite irk!) still at non-emergency requests for money that allow the person to play around outside, yet are cloaked under charity where they skim off their own needs first. At least be genuine and keep it separated, and people also shouldn't be so naive about it.

As a link to Wisconsin, not sure if you read about the 12yo girl that was stabbed by 2 other 12yo girls, but there's a fundraiser for her. I'm pleased that it's up above $40k now. Nobody freaking expects to worry about a middle schooler getting stabbed (or shot) and having those bills, yeesh!