Thursday, July 21, 2011

Thurs

Totally wussed out on the track today. Easy 50 minutes instead, 5.5 miles. Really fighting with a lack of motivation lately. Hope to end that with a solid run up to No Name Creek tonight.

Ran on the Garden trails last night. Came up on another runner on the trail (he was going the opposite way, I wasn't going fast enough to catch anyone) who stopped me. Not three feet in front of me were two rattlesnakes. Had I not been warned I woulda stepped right on 'em.

Later on during that same run I startled four coyotes. A quarter mile later they had surrounded me and were running with me, licking their chops. Really glad I didn't have the dog. I've dealt with coyotes before over in the Garden. They act pretty tough, but a nice strike with a big rock usually sends them cowering.

Interesting day on the Hardrock e-mail list. All started by a 39+ hour, back of the pack finisher who seemed to think he was an olympic gold medalist. I happen to think the Hardrock lottery is fair and I hope they don't change it at all. Lots of varying opinions though. I'm afraid Hardrock will eventually go the way of Leadville and become more of a reality show than a run.

2 comments:

HappyTrails said...

Have seen more rattlers in Ute Valley and the Garden than anywhere else I've been.

mtnrunner2 said...

There's a pack that hangs around my neck of the woods, and they're a bit too comfortable right next to homes/pets/children.

One night they were howling away in the dark on the side of a hill that my trail passed through. They couldn't see me coming over the top, so I charged down through them, yelling, and scattered them. Bet they weren't expecting that. It was right next to the college parking lot, so no big danger to me.

I have no problem with wildlife, even carnivores, coexisting with us. But once we and our pets make the evening menu, the tables turn.