Monday, July 05, 2010

weekend

Awesome weekend.

Bagged Missouri Mountain on Saturday, then just about killed myself trying to make the traverse over to Elkhead Pass. I ended up turning around about halfway, but not before a few stressful moments with some good Hardrock practice dealing with exposure. Missouri was my 26th 14er.

Drank my face off Saturday night, then did the Firecracker 5K on Sunday morning. After hitting the Golden Burro for a bloody mary, of course. Didn't have a good race, but ended up third overall in 19:17. My body just doesn't deal with oxygen debt anymore. Still, a day after a six hour hike and sporting a serious hangover, I think that's my fastest time at that race.

After the race we hit the Manhattan to watch the hot dog eating contest. Some Leadville cops came in for a "courtesy check," and as they were leaving one of the locals threw a small firecracker at the fuzz. He quickly exited the bar head first and parallel to the ground, and was in handcuffs shortly after. All the bartender could say was, "damnit, not again!"

Katie and I then hit three breweries on the way to Red Rocks - Backcountry Brewing, Dillon Dam Brewing, and Pug Ryan's. Great beer. Would have been a perfect opportunity to knock off the Dostal Alley Brewpub, but all bets are off for Blackhawk until they sort out their bike mess.

Then, as usual, the Blues Traveller show rocked! To celebrate the 20th anniversary of their first album, they played it in it's entirety. Great stuff! Also saw one of the best concert fights ever! Multiple rounds, it was a battle royal involving both sexes. For whatever reason, security just didn't show up, so the brawl went on and on and on. Damn stinkin' hippies!

Pictures to come, but I gotta get my ass to work.

2 comments:

mike_hinterberg said...

Great brewery trio, do you have a favorite? I never got a good feel at Pug Ryan's, mostly the food selection though, as I'm not a big steak and burger guy. I dig BC and Dillon Dam, usually give the nod to DD for ambiance and Sweet George's Brown.

Curious to hear, where was the exposure on Missouri? And, where is it on Hardrock?

I'll post some observations on Silverton-related alcohol (thanks for the recommendations!), and casual Hardrock-related trail observations (we were on the Handies section and part of the Ice Lakes Basin section) soon...Man, that course looks like a fun weekend!

mike_hinterberg said...

Oh, right: good call on Black Hawk!
I'm boycotting them right now, too -- I was totally gonna skip work, ride my bike there, and gamble, but I'm *not* gonna do that all week...and I might *not* do that next week, too!