Monday, July 12, 2010

so close, and so far...

Great shot of Jennifer Roach (wife of the guy who wrote the Colorado 14ers book), exhausted after getting the most bang for her $250 Hardrock entry fee, finishing in 47:57.

Just a few minutes later but a world away in terms of results. Leonard Martin of Tennessee finished in 48:02:20. At the pace he was going I'd guess he was about 200 meters from the finish line when the 48 hour cutoff came. He was mentioned at the post-race awards ceremony but is not credited with an official finish.

Thanks to Gazette photographer Christian Murdock for letting me post these pics. Christian was all over the Hardrock course and took some amazing shots.

5 comments:

Digger said...

I think this is a photo of you at the bottom, second one in the slideshow..in the Durango Herald!

http://durangoherald.com/sections/Sports/2010/07/11/Finkel_Like_a_rock/

mike_hinterberg said...

Awesome pics!

As for the "wife of the guy who wrote the Colorado 14ers book", poor gal, let's instead call Gerry the "husband of the woman who climbed all the 13ers, finished Hardrock, etc.!"

brownie said...

Yeah, I didn't mean to degrade her, Gerry was there crewing for her and seems like a cool dude. I'm very appreciative of any chick I'm able to finish ahead of.

mike_hinterberg said...

Yeah, I got it, just thinking about how her last name is a blessing and curse. If she were married to a lesser schlep of my caliber, she'd get all the attention.

GZ said...

Amazing accomplishment for Jennifer. I met her this year at GC and she is a great person. I had questions in my head if she'd make the cut when I saw her run there - very stoked to see she did. Excellent pic.