Saturday, July 31, 2010

new brewery in town...

$100 and I went up to the brand new Colordo Mountain Brewery last night. It's never good to judge a place based on the first night they're open - they're working out lots of kinks with just about everything, which is good for them since I thought the joint was average at best.

The food was good (awesome fries, possibly the best in the city), better than the beer. But I don't go to breweries to eat. That, added to the fact that the place caters to the yuppies, church-goers, and Air Force officers on the north side of town, means I probably won't make too many trips to the place. I had pints of the 7258 Pale Ale, the Ole 59er Amber Ale, and the Roller Coaster Red Ale, and none of them are gonna make me forget my two favorite local breweries: Trinity and Bristol. I also have a growler of the Monumental Stout to try after tomorrow's run up Pikes Peak.

We will be back at least once, though. Everyone who showed up yesterday got a wooden coin good for one brew. Since the opening day special was $2 pints all day, $100 and I just paid for all our beers so we could return on a normal priced day ($4) for the freebee.

Skipped desert and insteaded headed to the Rocky Mountain Brewery for a nightcap. It's 12 miles from CMB to Rock Bottom, then another three to RMB. Important stats, since that route will be part of the upcoming brewery marathon...

5 comments:

GZ said...

I want in on that marathon

brownie said...

Details will be posted soon...

Jeremy said...

We went there for lunch. Same opinion. Great fries, but I make better beer in my garage. Seriously.

I think the brewer was the old brewer at Phantom Canyon...which explains a lot (i've never liked Phantom Canyon). Way back when, when they first announced that place, I think there was supposed to be some involvement w/ the RMB people, but there was a falling out. Shame..the beer there is much better.

Also, I am going to bike your marathon.

brownie said...

Tried the growler of porter, it was awful. I would have thrown it out, but I have hashers coming over today and they'll drink anything. Could it be that Judge Baldwin's won't have the worst beer in town now???

We went to Rocky Mountain afterwards and they were ragging on CMB.

Jeremy said...

LOL, that's funny. We wanted to get the IPA at lunch, but they didn't have it on. I ended up getting the Pale Ale, which was OK but not really a Pale Ale in my book and the Hefeweizen, which was alright, but not fantastic.

I'm not sure they're worse then JB..i haven't been there since I first moved to town. Rock Bottom is pretty awful too. Your marathon should include beer stops at the bad breweries, but with good beer. Get homebrewers to make something better and serve it at those places.