Friday, September 11, 2009

designated driver

Way back in my Army days I used to drive drunk. Almost daily. Often I'd remember partying hard in Austin, and then next thing I knew I'd be waking up in my room at Fort Hood, my car in the parking lot, not remembering a thing about how I got home. Hood is over an hour away from Austin, FYI.

I was somehow never busted for DUI. Looking back at that period of my life now, I can't believe I didn't kill myself or someone else. So I've always felt like I owed the karma gods for taking care of me.

At the Manitou Lager Festival a few weeks ago I found out about Designated Driver of Colorado Springs. And I decided to volunteer. So from 10PM until 3AM tonight, I'll be carting drunks home. Probably do this once a week for a while.

4 comments:

GZ said...

Brownie / JT - good on ya.

I was in the USAF. We had a base policy where if no one on the base got busted for a DUI for 30 days, the whole base would get a day off. Down day.

Never happened. Ever. In fact, I don't think I saw the counter get higher than 10 days at best.

Carie said...

Very nice!

Sank said...

That's good thing you are doing.

tallpalegrrl said...

I agree with Todd that it's a good thing you're doing, but I am shocked. You drink more than anyone else I know! But, to copy GZ, 'good on ya!'